Sasha DiGiulian’s name is bound to ring a bell with just about anyone who has grazed the edges of the climbing scene in the past two years. With her groundbreaking tick-list of 5.14d redpoints and 5.14 onsights, coupled by a brutal competition year (for her competitors that is), Sasha’s last years in the climbing arena has put her pro-climbing career in full swing. Her poster girl image has gone beyond the climbing mags and graced the pages of more traditional media outlets like Vogue Magazine and The Washington Post. Sasha graciously “took five” with me amidst her new and assuredly hectic schedule at Columbia University in Manhattan, NY to answer a few questions about what’s on her mind at the moment.
1. Favorite part about being in a city? Favorite part about being outdoors?
City: the palpable energy of constant motion. Outdoors: the tranquility of nature and ease.
2. Celebrity crush.
3. Second favorite sport.
To watch: ice hockey. To take-part: skiing.
4. If you could climb with anyone’s climbing style whose would it be?
The tenaciousness of Adam Ondra and the gracefulness of Jain Kim.
5. One must have for international travel.
This is so materialistic but.. an iPhone
6. What makes the east coast the best coast?
Two things: 4 seasons, and the people; to the point and honest
7. If you were a cookie what kind would you be?
White chocolate macadamia nut. Crisp on the outside, undercooked in the middle.
8. What TV program are you obsessed with right now?
9. Do you have any funny weird habits?
I study at odd hours. I’ve been up since 4:53. I can’t focus to sit still during the day.
10. If you weren’t a pro climber what would you be?
Ideally a pro figure skater.
11. What was your first pair of climbing shoes and what are you wearing on your most recent project?
Pink Boreal lace-ups. Most recent project: FiveTen Dragons. Latest obsession: Team VXI!