Munich, November 11th 2011 – The famous National Geographic Magazine has nominated the Scottish trials genius Danny MacAskill for the Adventurer of the Year Award. Now it is up to Danny’s fan community to support him, so start voting on November 11th.
Make Danny MacAskill the “Adventurer of the Year”
The Adventurer of the Year will be elected for the seventh time in 2011. Danny now ranges among sports heroes like surfing legend Kelly Slater (nominee 2008), sky flier Dean Potter (nominee 2009) or last year’s nominee extreme sailor David de Rothschild. The prize goes to athletes who embody the spirit of adventure in their discipline and push forward their sport to the next level. For Danny MacAskill that shoe definitely fits; he has been traveling around the whole world in 2011 which was captured in various videos.
Here are five reasons why the 25 years old Scotsman from the Isle of Skye could be crowned as “Adventurer of the Year” :
- 27.000 miles trip through Scotland for the legendary “Way Back Home”-clip, filmed by Dave Sowerby. On his way from Edinburgh to his home on the Isle of Skye, Danny MacAskill passed by the most beautiful spots in Scotland. Over 15 million people wanted to see Danny’s trip on YouTube, making Way Back Home one of the most viewed sports clips on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw
- Definitely worth seeing is the clip he shot in Cape Town, South Africa: “Danny plays Cape Town”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLtVhTaZjA
- Shooting with Gee Atherton for the “Atherton Project”. Inspired biking with Danny MacAskill: http://www.redbull.tv/The-Atherton-Project/The-Atherton-Project-s03e3
- Spectacular shooting with Martin Söderström and Daniel Dhers in Sweden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pToyAVyUxlA
- Release of “Industrial Revolutions”, filmed by Stu Thomson, counting 350.000 clicks within 24 hours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI
The “people’s choice” vote from the national Geographic starts today, Friday, November 11th. Until mid-January Danny counts on your votes to overtake his nine competitors. View his profile on: http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2012/danny-macaskill/
“It is quite a shock and an honor to be nominated for the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year Award. I have been incredibly lucky this year, traveling all over the world, seeing and doing things I couldn't have even dreamed of. It's amazing getting to do what I love doing every day and getting recognition like this for it. I hope this is just the beginning of my adventure but if you think I deserve to win then please vote for me!” comments Danny MacAskill on his nomination.
Now it is only up to you! Go to http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2012/vote/ and give your vote to Danny! Every vote counts!
The winner will be announced by the beginning of March.